Skip to main content

The Value of Honest Leaders for Mormon Youth

 Tyler Perry

I have recently been listening to many interviews on Mormon Stories Podcast.  In part, this is because of a fascination with the history of the church of my heritage.  Otherwise, I listen to understand my own feelings through the context of the experiences of others.

In Dr. John Dehlin’s 2014 article “A Comprehensive List of Reasons Why People Leave or Stop Believing in the LDS Church”[1], Dehlin notes that people frequently ascribe their disaffection as being caused by multiple factors, describing the experience as “breaking the shelf”.  In the analogy, people describe encountering difficult or challenging questions that they were willing to set aside and place on a “shelf”, to be answered at a later date.  Eventually, the weight of all the issues on that “shelf” becomes too great, and it collapses, dragging their testimonies along with it.  This can lead to a faith crisis, disaffection, and withdrawal from the church.

Despite the specific reasons being plentiful, I think I have identified a few categories of common causes.  One of the most common that I have seen on Mormon Stories Podcast and other platforms is what I will refer to as the “nobody told me this” cause.  This happens when someone discovers that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon using a “peep stone” that he found in a well, which he used for treasure digging, instead of the Urim and Thummim we were told in Sunday School that he used [2].  Or that Joseph Smith had up to 34 wives, some of them underage girls (even by nineteenth century standards) or women who were already married to faithful LDS men [3].

Others are challenged by their temple experience.  They are shocked by the peculiarities of the rituals, which had been built up in their minds as great and sacred things.  Or they were unaware of the overt Masonic imagery in the endowment [4].  To be fair, the endowment is a… peculiar experience, even if you have a good idea of what to expect going in.

And some people become disaffected shortly after baptism because the missionaries never told them about the Priesthood ban on black people that was not lifted until 1978.

I bring all of this up because I want to point something out that I hope will be helpful for leaders of LDS youth.  When people on Mormon Stories Podcast and other sources talk about becoming disaffected by becoming aware of truths that appeared hidden to them by the church, I do not resonate with those stories.

Because I knew about most of these issues when I was in high school.

And yet, I served an honorable mission.

Were it not for all those hunky BYU-Idaho guys, I may have even gotten sealed in the temple.

I did not have what I would describe as a “shelf-breaking” moment.  The closest thing that could come to that was caused by teachings like “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” and “To Young Men Only” [5] [6].

So, how was it that I could know all these “dark secrets” of Mormon history, and keep those items comfortably on the “shelf” without it showing even the slightest signs of wear?

The first reason was the fact that I found the cosmology to be incredible [7].

The second, and perhaps more important, reason was that I had incredible youth leaders.

In the interest of protecting their privacy, I will refer to them by their careers, and only in vague terms.  There are four leaders I would like to talk about, but there were many more who did an amazing job in being honest and caring men who I admire and adore to this day.

The four I would like to discuss are the Vet, the LT, the Doc, and the Director.

The Vet taught lessons to us in the most memorable ways.  He once used a rat trap to explain the dangers of temptations, which, with deacon-age boys (12 and 13 years old), was a recipe for hilarity.  However, I think the lesson that I remember the most was the time that he brought in a stereo and played “Cat’s in the Cradle” to illustrate a point on a lesson about fatherhood.  That lesson has stuck with me to this day.

The Vet did not teach according to the manual.  He talked about things with honesty and openness.  I think he respected us to make the best decisions we could based off the information provided.  As far as the LDS metric of “success” is concerned, most of the youth he taught during my upbringing went on to serve missions and/or get sealed in the temple.

The LT and I recently sat down to discuss some of my “news”.  We had a heartfelt discussion about the place in the Gospel for LGBTQ+ folks.  In that stake, there is one couple that is in a mixed-orientation marriage, and we discussed the challenges that they must be facing as something of a proxy discussion for what I have had to confront.  In the end, he did not have grand answers, but he did have real, Christian love.

The LT welcomed my family into the ward when we moved into the area.  Our families became close, and he was one of the most humble, true Christians that I have ever met.  He was also the only man who could deal with my stepdad’s BS and continue to be friends with him.  He was able to officiate my stepdad’s funeral, and there was nobody better suited for the job.

And when it came time for me to come out, there were few people that I felt deserved to know more than the LT.

The LT also hates it when I refer to him as LT, so I insist on doing it.

The Doc once told me to hold an ice pack to my face after a friend accidentally hit me in the face with a rock on a camping trip, instead of, ya know, getting stitches or some other intervention.  But he was also a caring guy.

The Doc was less of a spiritual teacher and more a man who made his home available as a haven for youth who needed an escape.  My friends and I spent a lot of time there playing airsoft and Halo.  We have joked that it was most likely that time together engaged in those activities that kept us from drugs and rampant teenaged fornication.  Still, the fact that the Doc and his family made their home a place where we could just be kids gave me the fellowship that I needed to remain faithful through a mission and, ultimately, through my time at BYU-Idaho, since I would be reacquainted with many of those friends in Rexburg.

And finally, the Director.

I doubt there is another man who had a greater impact on my religious education than the Director.  The Director and I have had several discussions recently, both over the phone and over social media, respecting political and religious issues.  While he has a literal belief in the church and its truth claims, he is one who would genuinely welcome someone who does not have a literal belief into the fold.

He and I have had a great number of challenging conversations over the years.  I was never the type of student of religion who would accept an answer just because an authority figure said it was true.  If he made a claim, I would challenge him to show me the references that could support that claim.  Together, I believe we built each other up.

And today, I am still able to challenge him with greater and more personal questions without fear of judgement or reprisal.  And he challenges me in a similar manner.

His only fault is that he roots for BYU, but hey, pobody’s nerfect.

These four men were incredible teachers and leaders, and it is hard for me to attribute any particular lesson or truth to any of them individually.  I remember learning about how Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from a hat in my youth.  I know that I was taught about peep stones, polygamy, and several other issues before ever leaving on my mission.

And when I was preparing to enter the temple, because of the teachings of these men, I knew that I could check out documentaries on the Masons to help me prepare.  By the time I was sitting in the endowment, I thought it was awesome to see familiar things like the “compass and square” and one or more of the “tokens” that I recalled from watching those documentaries.  Rather than the temple being a difficult experience because of its weirdness, I was prepared, and I entered the Celestial Room without questions.

Admittedly, my mom sitting me down the night before to walk me through everything in my packet was also helpful.

The point here is that these men were honest in what they taught and true examples of love and acceptance.  They were not men who feared the truth, and they encouraged us to seek it out.  They were men of compassion, love, understanding, and integrity.

And that’s exactly what a youth leader should be [8].

References

[1] http://www.whymormonsleave.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Why-Mormons-Leave-Comprehensive-List-February-2014.pdf

[2] https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics-essays/book-of-mormon-translation?lang=eng. When South Park tells the story of how Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon more honestly than how we were taught about it in Seminary, there is a problem.

[3] https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Joseph_Smith/Polygamy/Plural_wives Fanny Alger and Helen Marr Kimball are the most famous cases of underage girls being sealed to Joseph Smith.

[4] https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/august-2017/mormon-temples-freemasonry This imagery is especially curious given the Book of Mormon’s strong condemnation of Masonic activity, which it refers to as “secret combinations”.  This article by FAIR Mormon is an example of the shoddy and incongruent argumentation that apologists employ.  “We don’t know and we have no way of knowing” when it comes to excusing the strong circumstantial evidence that Joseph Smith co-opted the Masonic rites into the endowment, but compare that to the standard of evidence that they will use for defending the Book of Abraham translation.  The Book of Abraham may be a true record of the prophet Abraham, and the endowment may be divinely revealed, but the apologist arguments for those points are beyond terrible.

[5] https://perryekimae.blogspot.com/2020/06/is-there-place-for-me.html

[6] https://perryekimae.blogspot.com/2020/08/awkward-sex-talk-with-grandpa-packer.html

[7] https://perryekimae.blogspot.com/2020/09/mormon-cosmology-is-cool.html

[8] I just wanted to give them a shoutout in the essay.  If all of you read this, I love you guys, and I am grateful to you.  Regardless of the path that I must follow, I am grateful for the parts that you have played in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Without the Mask (But There’s a Pandemic, Charlie!)

Tyler Perry Introduction In late 2019 or early 2020, I was having lunch with my gay mentor, my gaytriarch, if you will.   I was expressing my concerns with a current relationship, as well as my hopes and fears about my plans to come out to my family.   He asked me a couple of questions that have stuck with me ever since. “Have you accepted the fact that you’re gay?” he asked.   There was no judgement in his voice. “Yes,” I answered, without hesitation.   I had come a long way in the last year.   I was in my first real relationship, and I knew that I was happier because of my decision to date. He considered my response briefly.   Then, in a nurturing tone, he asked, “Have you embraced it?” I paused.   I had not expected the question, nor had I really considered the concept before.   “I’m not sure that I have,” I finally answered.   “I know that I’ve accepted that I am gay, but I think that there is still a part of me that is scared about that.” He nodded understandingly.

Attack on Dogma - Part One: Radicalization

  Attack on Dogma: The Critiques of Radicalization, Nationalism, Dogma, and Otherizing in Attack on Titan Part One: Radicalization Tyler J Perry Spoiler Warning: While I will endeavor to avoid manga spoilers for the last nine chapters of the Attack on Titan manga, I will discuss themes that are not related to the finale. Furthermore, I will freely discuss anime spoilers through Season 4 Part 2, to include items in the currently unreleased winter cour finale. I have been studying Japanese since approximately April 2017. As part of my language study, I often read manga in Japanese, usually after I have familiarized myself with the associated anime. The Western equivalent to this would be reading the Infinity Gauntlet comic after watching Avengers: Infinity War , albeit, anime adaptations of manga tend to be much more faithful to the source material. Ahead of the season 4, part 2 premiere of Attack on Titan , I set a goal to read the entire manga, a total of 34 volumes, before

DezNat and Why the Fight for Affirmation Matters

  Tyler Perry Update: After speaking with Hanna Seariac, she has denounced the DezNat movement, and I have apologized for the insinuation that she is a part of the movement. This article has been changed to reflect that. Update: There is a factual historical error that indicated Churchill, not Chamberlain, practiced the policy of appeasement. This error has been corrected. My gut instinct is to classify Deseret Nation, a group that codes itself with the hashtag DezNat (which looks like DeezNutz lol), as a hate group.   It is certainly a fascist bunch of right-wing ideologues wrapped in the vestments of Mormonism and pseudo-intellectualism.   They view LGBT affirmation as a step toward apostasy, and apostates are to be the most hated of all. If I were to compare DezNat to other fascist movements, I would say that they are looking for a solution to the “apostate question”.   This is seen in the memes they share, the comments they make, and the videos they post. I am a little bit co